top of page

 Saint Michael, Cold Kirby

St Michael's originally dates back to the 12th century and was described as an "ancient edifice" in 1820. It was replaced by the present attractive building in 1841. It also lies in the scenic North York Moors, on the east slopes of the Hambleton Hills.


The church is located on a scenic site next to the Cleveland Way Trail in the peaceful rural village of Cold Kirby. Its font is the original one from the 12th century. One of the two bells is from the 13th century and the other is dated 1665 and is inscribed "God savee his church". Originally the parish was administered by the Order of Knights Templar until 1314 when Cold Kirby passed to the Knights Hospitallers who held it until the Reformation. Until the 18th century the church was a chapel of Easingwold and was mentioned as such in 1269. The church's register began in 1749. In 1883 the church was annexed to the neighbouring benefice of Scawton before becoming part of the Parish Upper Ryedale in 1979. In the porch is a key stone dated 1920 and hung inside the porch is a beautifully illuminated sheet with the dedication of the porch as the parish's war memorial and including a roll of honour. 

bottom of page